Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dear Dad

Dear Dad:
Did you know I didn't know you loved me
For the longest time.
Your harsh words, delivered at the most
Inopportune times seemed to stop me from
Loving you - this was my fault for I didn't
Realize that what you were trying to do was
Prepare me for life...
The broken hearts from mean men who's
Truly harsh words, delivered at the most
Inopportune times hit with a force I was not
Prepared to absorb the shock of...

Your love became more real when I left -
Ran away from the pain inflicted by the
Critic in my head that said,
"There's NOTHING here for you!
It's time to leave. Be on your way.
Find greener pastures - far, far away."

Daddy, what was wrong with me?
Why did I not learn till after I flew the coop
That your eagle like protection taught me to
Fly, made me ready to spread my wings and
Soar - and I did - sore from flapping against
What I needed: your honesty, discipline and
True love.

I want to fly back to the nest; would you
Be willing to make room for me?
It's time I cared for you the way you have cared for me,
Minus the harshness I gave in retaliation when
I thought you dished it out to me... I was a baby bird.
I didn't know that what you were trying to do was
Get me to fly safely alone from your nest to
Make it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment