Sunday, June 12, 2011

Children of the Congo*

Distended bellies
Heads cocked to the side
Quizzical looks on their faces
As the trucks leave them behind
In their wake a cloud of dust and dirt
Hidden all over the childrens' bodies

I can't turn the channel
I don't want to stop staring
They can't see me
They don't even know that
I look so intently at them
Wondering
Why
Them
and
Not
Me
Skinny like the words above
Tiny too and yet if you stack
One on top of the other like words
You find power in them and their
Collective voice that speaks through
Their eyes ablaze with fractions
From murdering their own
Minds washed to do it without remorse

Cleaned up mentally makes them a mess
Makes them mess up other peoples' lives
Makes a mess of mine... they have
Punched so many holes in my heart when
I walk my heart whistles a dirge

I can not purge the sadness I have collected
Channel surfing through their lives
Exploited without knowledge
Knowing they have been left behind
So many times by others who hold the
Power to exact a change if they would
Take control of their remote controls
Stop surfing long enough to see

Distended bellies
Heads cocked to the side
Quizzical looks on their faces
As we flippantly flip on by.

No comments:

Post a Comment