Monday, July 11, 2011

Just at the Gate

All of us stallions kicking to go,
To bust out of the gate and
Run at full pace - a smooth,
Rocking gallop under the jockeys
Who have whipped our backs into
Submission, but what lacks is the
Fact that we are the horses - We,
We have the power to throw
Our riders off our backs, over fences
And onto their backs, missing the
Finish line from our pride and
Arrogance: I don't need direction.
Nor do I need the kicks and digs and whips
In my sides to get me to function.
I need a gentle nudge at my muzzle,
An encouraging pat on the haunches,
A carrot - string not attached - fed lovingly.

Then lead us to our starting gates after some
Appreciation, admiration, consideration for
All we have done to make you look good -
Taking the risk of mounting us, as steeds,
Riding us full force on to victory -

That is what we both need.

No comments:

Post a Comment