Monday, October 31, 2011

Mummy's Favorite Day

I can't believe that this is
My mother's most beloved
Holiday - I don't know her
Like I don't know who is
Beneath the masks that come
Pounding at my door demanding a
"Trick or Treat!"

Is this a trick not knowing who
Birthed me and helped me
Unbirth a potential birth that
Would have secured the family
Bloodline?

Or is it a treat to have a slow
Unveiling of the multiple masks
This woman has worn for as long as
I have known her? She keeps changing
Masks like the changing of the guard...

It's quite scary like the shadows cast
On the alley of memory lane forgetting
Most of the fact that I loved her so much
At one time and now I'm much less
Loving of the sugar and spice and
Everything nice she dispenses at the
Door when I come knocking not
Declaring, "Trick or Treat!" NOR even
Demanding it - passive-aggressively
Awaiting a change in my own being -
A change of costume or scenery -
The scenery has changed - the costume is
Hermetically sealed in some areas
Mostly around the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment